Various - Nigeria Afrobeat Special The New Explosive Sound in 1970s Nigeria
Nigeria Afrobeat Special is the fourth addition to the Nigeria Special series, a project initiated by Miles Cleret, owner of the Soundway Record label back in 2004. CleretĆs ambition to distinguish the blossoming music scenes of 1970s Nigeria has lent to an indispensable series of CD and LP compilations documenting the influence of western blues, rock and disco amongst artists and musicians versed in the local musical styles of highlife and juju.
It was Fela Kuti and his musical and political ideals that formed the core of afrobeatĆs message. Blending highlife, Yoruba music, funk and jazz, Fela dominated the musical tapestry of 1970s Nigeria and his influence in Nigeria and West Africa led to a craze where most of the bands of the day incorporated this new sound into their repertoires to satisfy the tastes of the audiences of the time. This compilation highlights some of those recordings that have, until now, not seen the light of day.
Appropriately, FelaĆs highly sought after version of Ć«WhoĆre youĆ lends this set its lead. Originally released on 7Ć® in 1971, It would later be re-recorded at Abbey Road for his album FelaĆs London Scene and here is re-issued for the first time ever.
Set for release on 22nd February, Nigeria Afrobeat Special is released as a CD digipack and triple LP featuring five bonus tracks not available on the CD. Extensive liner notes are provided.
CD Track List:
1. Fela & The Africa 70 Ć± WhoĆre you? (Original 45 Version)
2. Eric Showboy Akaeze & His Royal Ericos Ć± We Dey Find Money
3. The Anansa Professionals Ć± Enwan
4. Saxon Lee & The Shadows International Ć± Mind Your Business
5. Bongos Ikwue & The Groovies Ć± Otachikpopo
6. Orlando Julius & His Afro-Sounders Ć± Afro-Blues
7. Bob Ohiri and his Uhuru Sounds Ć± Ariwo Yaa
8. Mad Man Jaga Ć± Hankuri
9. Godwin Omabuwa & His Casanova Dandies Ć± Do The Afro Shuffle
10. Segun BucknorĆs Revolution Ć± Gbomojo
11. The Black Santiagos Ć± Ole
1 in stock
|Add to cart||